Health and Safety Information
- You must be 18 years or older to make a booking on this website. If you are under 18 years old, we will require a parent or guardian to make the booking on your behalf AND purchase their own ticket in order to accompany you for the duration of your chosen trip with Franz Josef Glacier Guides.
- In order to uphold safety standards we are not able to accept as clients any person over the weight of 115kg (253.5lb).
- Glacier conditions change rapidly and as such we cannot fully brief you on current conditions. In general ice steps on our trips can be over 400mm (1.3 feet) high. This height can challenge people with low physical fitness or low levels of agility.
- Children wishing to join our Heli Hikes need to be at least 8 years old, weight at least 35kg and be at least 137cm tall. Due to glacier and weather conditions this guideline may change and participation in the hike is ultimately the decision of the lead guide on the day. For further information please contact us.
- Due to the risks involved on our glacier trips we do not take anyone who is, or may be, pregnant.
- Factors such as lack of physical fitness, pre-existing medical conditions including, but not limited to, ankle injuries, knee injuries or ACL damage, joint replacements, dislocations, neck or back injuries, heart conditions, high or low blood pressure, diabetes or asthma can effect capacity to safely take part in a glacier trip and in turn increase the possibility of sustaining an injury. If you have any medical conditions or have had surgery in the last 10 years we recommend consulting your doctor about your participation in a glacier trip and making Franz Josef Glacier Guides aware of your condition.
- We do not guide customers who are under the influence of intoxicating drugs and / or alcohol.
- As we operate in a mountain environment certain events may result in customers having to stay on the glacier overnight.
- Franz Josef Glacier is an unstable geological feature that presents certain significant hazards, including, but not limited to, avalanche, rock fall, ice fall, heavy rain, cold exposure, heights, flooding, uneven terrain, tripping and sun exposure. To learn more about the risk please click here
- Franz Josef Glacier Guides reserve the right to curtail or cancel trips for customers whose fitness or ability it not appropriate to the trip on which they are booked. If you are unable to complete the glacier trip you have booked due to inadequate fitness, you will not be entitled to a refund. If you are not familiar with our trips please consult a member of our reservations team for advice on which trip will best suit your ability.
TERMS AND Conditions of participation
Heli Hike is operated by the The Helicopter Line Limited (“the Operator”). We, Franz Josef Glacier Guides Limtied, ("FJGG") will provide you with the guiding services on behalf of the Operator on the glacier. We aspire to provide you a friendly, exciting and safe experience.
In participating in this activity, you, the customer / passenger ("you"), agree to the following terms and conditions:
1. Participation in all adventure activities carries a degree of inherent risk and by participating in the activity provided by FJGG you are expressly assuming those risks personally and are, to the maximum extent permitted by law, waiving and releasing FJGG and its officers and employees and any subsidiary or related company from any liability, claims, losses, damages or expenses caused by any event including, but not limited to:
a) Personal injury or death;
b) Property loss or damage;
c) Acts which may be construed as negligent or accidental;
d) Any other loss, damage, suffering, emotional or nervous disorder.
2. You agree the laws New Zealand apply exclusively to these terms and conditions and that the Courts of New Zealand have exclusive jurisdiction. You agree not to commence any litigation or proceedings in any country in relation to the risks and perils set out in clause 1 above and to indemnify FJGG against any such actions. In the event that any liability is attributed to FJGG, such liability is limited to the price paid by you to the Operator or FJGG as booking agent for the activity.
3. You confirm that you are physically fit and suffer no medical conditions which may be aggravated by this activity. Please see adjacent health and safety information.
4. You consent to receive medical treatment in the case of injury, accident or illness during the activity and to indemnify FJGG against any claims in respect of this treatment.
5. You agree to listen to the guide, follow their instructions and make sure any children in your care do the same. FJGG reserves the right to remove or to refuse to allow any passenger to participate who does not comply with instructions or who is deemed to be a nuisance, acting recklessly or otherwise considered to be unsuitable, to participate.
6. This voucher is issued by an agent for the Operator providing the services and activities described and is non-transferable.
7. Cancellationsof the Heli Hike:
In some circumstances it may be necessary to cancel the Heli Hike eg inclement weather conditions. You agree to the cancellation policy provided by the Operator - The Helicopter Line. This policy is available on request from The Helicopter Line, Franz Josef. The selling agent and/or FJGG accept no responsibility for any loss or additional expenses arising from changes, delays or cancellations of the services and activities.
8. This voucher is non-refundable (other than at the absolute discretion of the Operator) however pre-paid bookings can be altered in accordance with the following:
a) Up until 24 hours prior to the date and time of any pre-paid reservation you may change (subject to availability) or cancel your booking at no charge.
b) Within 24 hours of any scheduled reservation, any change to the booking is at the absolute discretion of the Operator and may incur a fee up to a maximum of 100% of the price paid for the activity or service.
c) In the event that a pre-paid reservation is not utilised by the customer without any notification to the Operator, this voucher is deemed to have been used.
10. Any decision regarding an exception to these terms and conditions will be made entirely at the discretion of The Operator.